Turin or Torino?

That was the question when I finally put aside the time to book my flight. It turns out that Turin and Torino are the same beautiful city.

I found myself boarding my flight bright and early Friday morning to Torino for my 1-credit field trip. Financially, I should have never gone, but when it comes to Italy, I don't really think in financial terms. I either follow my heart or my belly. 

When I travel by plane, the buzz of the engines puts me right to sleep. This time, however, my face was practically smushed against the unjustly small window. We flew over the ocean for the majority of the flight with a clear view of mountains after mountains after mountains. I mean, look at this view as we were descending.

Once we landed, there was no time to rest. As soon as we found our professors, we boarded the bus to adventure to the vineyard, Fontana Freda. Looking back at the trip, Fontana Freda was definitely my favorite. 

Our tour took us down through the cellars and past machinery, where we were met by the aroma of wine of wood. After the tour, we sat down at a table shining with wine glasses and plates. Four wines and a full course meal later, I had a ridiculous grin and a bulging food baby. But there was no time to hibernate! We set off for a walk through the woods. Despite the weight of the food and wine, I wanted to just skip and click my heals. The view was so picturesque, the weather so crisp, I thought I must be dreaming. 

Unfortunately the time came to leave and we were back on the bus to adventure to a university and wine bank. When we stopped, however, we found ourselves at the top of one of the many rolling hills by a strangely rainbow church. Our professors and driver had decided to show us the quirky church, but that wasn't what held my attention. The view of the rolling hills and the mountains stole my heart.
 Alas, (yes I like to use that word) we couldn't stop there. Our bus driver beckoned us back on the bus and off we went to our original destination. At the university, we were sold their Gastronomy (study of food) program. As boring as the tour turned out to be, it did make me pause. Yes, I declared a Biology major, but can you imagine studying FOOD? FOR A LIVING?? That life would be incredible.
So maybe I'll transfer and study food in Italy. Who knows?

After the college tour, we were led through the wine bank. It's essentially a bank, just with wine instead of money. The most interesting part was the fact that they stored the wines so that as you walked past crate after crate, you basically traveled from northern to southern Italy via wine.

That was Friday.

Saturday, we spent acquainting ourselves with Torino itself.

In the early morning (always seems to be that way), we were led through what is apparently the largest open air market in Italy. So you can imagine, it's pretty huge. I knew that going in, but it truly, truly is endless. I have never seen so much fish, fruit, and meat in my entire life.

After munching on fruit and basking in the Torino sun, we were off to a chocolate shop (you can imagine my excitement). Without the tour guide, I would have passed right by it. It's tucked away with a small sign in the window. It's now run by the grandsons of the original man that opened the store decades ago.



The "chocolate laboratory" (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) smelled absolutely heavenly. On top of that, they offered us free samples and goodie bags. You can imagine the ridiculous smile that was plastered on my face.

Also, for a moment, I thought I spoke Italian. No, seriously. Let me explain.
The one brother that walked us through the chocolate process spoke such crisp, clear Italian that the translation wasn't even needed. I knew exactly what he was saying. Mind-blowing, to say the least.

But once again we didn't stay there long. After what felt like mere minutes, we left and were off to the city center. There I saw the palace, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, and sipped delicious Bicherin (chocolate coffee yumminess). Oh, and it was Women's Independence Day (a surprising "by the way"). Women walked around holding flowers, crowds watching performers gathered here and there, and a race started with a bang in the square.

Sunday we were up early once again, but this time by choice. I'm pretty weird about that, actually. Even here in Rome, I don't let myself sleep in past 9:00. Yeah, I know. Crazy. But honestly, how could I sleep when I am living in  Rome? How could I sleep when I only had little less than three days to explore Torino?

Once we were all packed and settled usual stuff with the hotel desk, we hastened to catch a bus to the National Museum of Cinema. We weren't going to see the museum, though. We went to take the elevator up to the top of the museum's tower. Of course, the view was beautiful. If only the fog hadn't been selfish and taken the mountains for itself.


After a walk, taxi ride, and a security check we were back on the airplane. I sat in disbelief that the weekend was over, Torino and I were parting ways. I wouldn't see the beautiful city for who know how long.

I will go back though, oh don't you worry. I haven't even left Italy yet and I know I will definitely come back one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure