Soaking in the Tuscan Sun

Pisa.
Florence.
Trequanda.

Three beautiful cities in a beautiful place: Tuscany.

Day 1: Pisa

Before the sun stretched its arms awake, we were off to Pisa to see the famous leaning tower. At least, that was my impression. Little did I know that Pisa had so much more to offer. Within crumbling city walls, there is the famous tower, but also a beautiful Baptistry and Cathedral. Inside the Cathedral, like most churches here in Italy, I was at a loss for words. Beautiful paintings and stained glass adorned the walls.

Of course, after basking in the glory of the Cathedral, I spent quite a long time getting the perfect leaning picture with the tower. The sun was out, shining through the rain-filled clouds, so how could I not?



After the typical tourist shot, I wandered the streets with friends and came across a dessert that had my tummy singing the rest of the day: affogato. Affogato is a genius creation of gelato in coffee. My gelato  of choice was caramel and paired with Italian espresso, was simply divine.

Day 2: Florence

Yes, it was raining when our tour began, but the Duomo was incapable of being blotted out. Gigantic. Absolutely gigantic. I had no idea just how impressive it was. Besides the Duomo, we stopped by the copy of David, Ponte Vecchio, Dante's "house" (fake house), and other impressive statues and buildings as well. I wish I could recall all of the piazzas, buildings, and history our tour guide recounted, but Florence is just so chalk full of delights that I'll just have to go back.

If it looks big here, just multiply that by 50

Once our tour came to a close, my friends and I had our hearts set on leather. We passed by stand after stand of leather bags, coats, belts, wallets, you name it. Even though I came to Florence with boots in mind, I found myself drawn to the idea of a leather jacket and bag. I knew I was a goner when I tried on my leather coat. "Crap. I have to buy this." It was my leather coat from that moment; we were meant to be. Oh, and I can't forget about lunch!

Since arriving in Italy, I have left food prejudices at home and have explored all sorts of new foods, even oranges (that's supposed to be funny). The new food adventure that I undertook this time was pasta with wild boar sauce. You heard right and it was divine. Of course, I craved dessert afterwards. In a tucked away chocolate shop, my cold hands were warmed by hot chocolate.

Michelangelo's David bid us farewell at the end of the trip. Like everything else, he took my breath away. The copy doesn't even come close to doing the real statue justice. The size and beauty of David are incredible. I know it's a typical tourist attraction and so much hype surrounds the sculpture, but it's because David is truly a cool dude.

Day 3: Trequanda

Like most people, I have never heard of Trequanda, at least not until we were driving there on the last day of the trip. In this small city, well really town, there is a winery run by a woman named Donatella. It's a small, old fashioned, out-of-a-movie place with unreal views surrounding it. I still can't believe that I was actually there actually looking at those rolling hills.
Felix, my new best friend, and the view 

Our day consisted of a tour, wine tasting, pasta making, 5-course meal, and soaking in the sun. I wish I could take you there because words can't begin to describe this place. The pictures don't even come close to doing it justice.

Three days, three different cities. All under the Tuscan Sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure