The Joys of Being Catholic in Rome

"Your friend has something on her forehead."
"You know you have a smudge or something on your head."
"What's that on your face?"

It's Ash Wednesday. At the inhuman hour of 6:45 a.m. my friend and I made our way to mass at Santa Sabina. We followed in the long line of priests, chuckling to ourselves that we were the only students there. 

Once the service started, I was in spiritual bliss. The ancient columns, the fresco over the alter, and the rich voices of the choir felt unreal (a theme in most of my experiences). After Mass ended, our seminarian friend Andy led us to the church's hidden gem: the oldest crucifix ever made. 
It's a tiny thing. Look at the top left box.
If that didn't blow my mind (don't worry, it did), then the keyhole right next door did. I had heard rumors, but didn't know if it actually existed and if so, where. Well, it does. I'm talking about a keyhole, one small keyhole, through which you can see three nations: Italy, the Vatican, and the Knights of Malta (yes, apparently they are their own nation). 

When I stumbled out of bed at 5:00 a.m.(debating whether I was really doing this), I thought I was attending Ash Wednesday Mass. But no, I was actually also seeing two incredible, mind-shattering, historical objects.

My day didn't end there. Despite the calls of my cozy bed cocoon back at the apartment, my friend and I caught a bus to the Vatican, where we joined the crowds gathering for his weekly Papal Audience. Finding a spot near one of the barricades, we prepared ourselves for the long wait (we arrived at 8:15 and the Pope wasn't appearing until after 10:00 at the earliest).

After much shivering and standing and sitting and standing, it was time. The Popemobile with Papa Francesco accompanied the cheers and claps of the crowd. I could barely contain myself (I still can't believe I was so close to the Pope). Let me tell you, I have never seen a man glow with such genuine hope and happiness. Kissing babies left and right, shaking hands, even getting down from his sweet ride at one point, the Pope did not disappoint the adoring crowd (or me for that matter). I mean, not many people can say they've got a selfie with the Pope.
excuse the double chin 

As this Ash Wednesday ends and Lent begins, I couldn't be more blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure