Spring Break Part II and III: Athens and Santorini

I know, I am splitting my Spring Break post into two parts, but can you honestly expect me to condense everything about Paris, Athens, and Santorini to one post? I already have to leave things out!

Part II: Greece

As sad as it was to leave Paris (because it definitely was) I was headed for Athens. There, my friend and I were greeted with sunshine and warm weather, a relief after a previous chilly day in Paris. The day after our arrival, the adventures began.

We made our way to the Acropolis, which I knew nothing about (well, except for the Pantheon). It was more than I could have ever imagined. So much is hidden in the hill's nooks and crannies, like the Caves of Zeus and Apollo, amphitheaters, ruins, and old churches. Next, we wandered over to Hadrian's Arch and the Temple of Zeus (or what remains of it anyway). Even though only a handful of columns remain, the pure awesomeness (in the true sense of the word) of the temple still lingers.

Once we circled the ruins a couple times, we headed towards Panathenaic Stadium, an all-marble stadium where the Olympics were held. The sheer size of the place was incredible. I had no idea that it even existed, but once I stepped onto the track, I could almost hear the cheers of the crowds.

Thanks to my parents, I have hiker's blood running through my veins and whenever I see a hill or a mountain, I want to climb it. I want to reach the top and throw my hands to the sky! However, when the weather is hot and you are wearing jeans, hiking isn't quite so appealing. My friend and I searched and searched for the trolley to go up Lykavittos Hill. Alas, we wandered and up we seemed to go. We lost hope of finding the trolley, so we decided we might as well climb since it looked like we had already made it half way. Definitely worth it of course. The view of Athens from the Acropolis is amazing, but it's even better to see all of Athens with the Acropolis as part of the skyline.

Of course, the food was delicious, as it always seems to be here in Europe. I had many a Svoulaki and cup of Greek yogurt. I also had my first ever Greek salad that featured a gigantic block of feta cheese. Life was good. How could it not be when you have a view like this?

However, the adventures in Greece did not stop there.

Part III: Santorini

When people go on vacation, they see beautiful sunrises, sunsets, beaches, mountains, among other things. They claim "Now this is the most beautiful place in the world." In that moment, to them, it might be. But no. Just no. They haven't been to Santorini.

Santorini is hands down the most beautiful place I have ever been to. Ever.
It easily earns the title of "Paradise."
I mean, look at this view.
What I saw as I savored some Greek yogurt with honey
And then there was the beach.

Paris and Athens were amazing, don't get me wrong. But nothing beats napping and reading a book on a beach, especially a Greek beach. Also, I saw one of the prettiest sunsets and sunrises of my life here. The sunset was at Oia, which is a town at the very tip of the island. It's known as one of the best places in the world to see the sunset. I now completely understand that reputation. 

But that was just the start. My favorite part of the trip wasn't until the next morning when I woke up at the inhuman time of 5:15 to head out for a run to see the sunrise. 

I didn't even know where I was headed, but I didn't mind because the sky was alright painted with pinks and deep purples. I was about to turn back to watch the sun rise from a good vantage point I had passed when I saw a sign for the beach. I have a weaknesses for beaches because where there's a beach, there is the sound of waves. So to the beach I went. I could sit here and try to put it all into words, but I won't even try. It was just too perfect, too beautiful.  Just keep in mind, it was 20x more beautiful than what you see here. 
The sky that greeted me at the beginning of my run



When it came time it head back, I couldn't move. It was all too perfect, too serene. I couldn't peal my eyes away from such natural beauty.

But the seconds ticked away and my unpacked suitcase nagged at the back of my thoughts. Back I went to the hostel, where I packed up before heading back home. Which, in this case, wasn't too bad  thought when I remember that home was Rome.



And that was my Spring Break. Paris, Athens, and Santorini. Three beautiful places, three adventures. 
I know I'll be back, I won't even say "hope" because there is no way I can't not go back. The only question is who will join me on my future adventures. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure