The Last Adventure: Cinque Terre

Last weekend in Rome.
Last adventure.

I spent my last weekend in Italy in Cinque Terre ("Five Lands"). It consists of five towns, one of which I stayed in and fell in love with: Manarola. My friend Megan and I feel in love with Manarola.

When we arrived, we hiked up the all-uphill street to our hostel, a pastel green building. In our room, I opened our shutters to reveal a glorious view of the town and the ocean.


Once settled and suited up (bathing suits) we headed out to explore the town.

As we headed back down the street, we paused multiple times to take pictures of the pink, orange, and yellow houses. It could have been a painting. As we explored, ate, and filled our bellies with gelato we began to get to know the town.

And then there was the sea.
The deep turquoise and navy ocean  shown in the warm sun. It was unreal.

We found a spot by the water, spread out, and soaked in the rays. After what felt like a couple minutes we were already toasty and sweaty, ready for a splash of cold ocean water.


It was cooold. I stuck my toe in and just couldn't, couldn't go in.


But I had to.
The water was so blue, the sun so hot, I just had to.

So I jumped.

Megan and I weren't alone. A couple from Boston and a cute Australian joined us in the cool waters. The Australian didn't last long. I didn't either.

Once the sun started to play hide and seek with the clouds, we continued our adventure around Manarola and found a playground.
With swings.
Doesn't need to be said that it was a good time.

After we changed back at the hostel, we headed back down to find a restaurant for a seafood meal.
You can't stay in Cinque Terre and not get seafood.

Dinner was stuffed squid to share, and then I ordered fettuccine with mussels and squid while Megan ordered a beautiful fresh lobster with homemade gnocchi. With wine, of course.


And all of of it was delicious. Absolutely delicious.The perfect meal was concluded with Nutella tiramisu for me and Cream Catalana for Megan.

***

The next day we packed up our things bright and early before heading out to hike to Riomaggiore, the next town over. But alas, it was raining.

So we took the train instead, but once we arrived we realized that we had hours to kill before our train back to Rome and a small town that only took 10 minutes to explore. So we hopped on another train we thought was headed for Vernazza. Turns out we ended up at Monterosso.

It was a splendid mistake, as we spent the day collecting sea glass along the beach, taking pictures and pictures of the water, and exploring the town. Even with stormy skies and rain, it all took my breath away.


All in all, I simply fell in love with Cinque Terre.
The vibe was just amazing. No judging eyes when I wore shorts, friendly hikers exchanging stories, good food, and waves crashing against the rocks.

I will be back. No question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure