Easter Sunday

I spent the beginning and end of the the Lenten season with Papa Francesco. 
So blessed!! I mean, We're practically best friends now with our two selfies. He may not have known I was taking it, but he's a spiritual guy. He sensed it. 

                                         Ash Wednesday                        Easter Sunday 

Before the sun woke up, my friend and I were on the tram on our way to the Vatican. When in Rome, you can't just go to any old church for Easter when the Vatican is right around the corner! 

We arrived and took our place in line. They weren't quite ready for us and we waited along with everyone else to be allowed into St. Peter's Square. When the time came, we didn't quite sprint as others did but allowed ourselves a nice "trot." We scanned the seats, straining our necks to find ones near a barrier (better Papa Francesco vantage point). We nabbed some seats next to some nice priests who offered us a napkin to wipe off our seats.

Once we situated ourselves, the two hours wait for Mass began. As long as that sounds, the time flew by. It was an ideal people watching situation. In case of boredom, I had prepared myself with a book, but I didn't even open it. Surrounded by so many bustling people, from all parts of the world, I just sat there and took it all in. 

When Mass began, we couldn't believe the time had come. As Papa Francesco emerged, the crowd began to clap. Although it wasn't really appropriate, there was no stopping it. The love and hope that he inspires can't be contained. 

Throughout the Mass, I was able to experience many languages, including Greek, Chinese, Hindu, and even English (represent!). The choir's harmonies rang through the Square with each song and each Responsorial Psalm.

The surprise of the Mass was Eucharist. I didn't expect to receive it at all because of the sheer amount of people, but I found myself facing a priest nonetheless and received Eucharist...at St. Peter's Square...on Easter. In that moment, I felt so blessed. Truly blessed. 

After Mass ended, and Papa Francesco left his seat, he soon re-emerged and hopped onto the Pope-mobile. In a matter of minutes, he was coming towards us. He glowed with joy and happiness, smiling and waving to all those he passed. He even reached out to touch a boy near me as he passed by. Of course, I made sure to get my Selfie: Part II as you saw. 

Once he had covered what he could of the Square, he disappeared again. People started to leave, but he hadn't said the blessing. My friend and I looked at each, at the people leaving, at each other again. Should we leave? Was that it? I asked one of the nuns in front of us, who insisted he was going to come back out for a speech. And he did! He concluded with a message, a blessing, and of course a smile and a wave. I'm so happy to say that my rosary (thanks Alex!!) has now been blessed by the Pope!

And then it was over. But it wasn't. Halina and I had yet to leave, which was an experience in itself. Every street leading the Vatican was filled with people. Trying to shuffle our way out, I essentially had to find my inner penguin. 

Once out of the throng of people, Halina and I walked along the Tiber, my first time actually. I had walked along the river above it, but never right there next to it. I couldn't have asked for a more sunny day for it. 

Then, another first: my first sunny side up egg. Delicious. And then my chocolate Easter egg. Well, half of it at least, but even half was a lot of delectable, delicious, beautiful dark chocolate. 

And that was my Easter, essentially. 
My Easter in Rome!!

I could not have asked for a more beautiful, blessed day. 

I will most definitely remember this for the rest of my life. 
And if I don't, well, I guess I have this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure