A Volcano, Ruins, and an Island

This past weekend was full of adventures, adventures to places that I've only dreamt about.
Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii, Capri.
Did I really go there? The pictures say I did, but it's hard to believe it.

Day 1: Mount Vesuvius

Waking up inhumanely early, I scrambled to finish the packing that was supposed to be done the night before. As we rushed out the front door, we were greeted with lightning, rain, and more rain. Basically a torrential downpour.

Soaking wet and excited to be leaving the rain behind, I boarded the bus, ready to begin the adventure. As the bus traveled farther and farther from the Rome, we left the rain for fog. As the bus lurched back and forth up the switchbacks, I strained to see a glimpse of a view, but the cloud was persistent in swallowing us whole.

After endless switchbacks, it came time to set off on foot. With the rain, the fog, the damp all around, I couldn't help but just smile. I was on a volcano. No bad weather could take that away. The fog was tricky though. I had no clue when I reached the top. The best view I could get was fog, fog, and more fog. The crater? It was to my left I was told.

Coming back down the volcano, struggling to hold onto my umbrella, my friend and I had one mission in mind: rocks. As crazy as we looked, we didn't care, but crazy we  were oozing crazy. With an umbrella in one hand, a handful of rocks in the other, we shuffled down the the path with our eyes glued to the ground, looking for our next volcanic rock victim.

And of course, we had a reward for our adventure once we collapsed in our chairs on the bus: Snickers. The classic post-hike snack to be had at the top or at the finish line (Copyright: My parents).

Day 2: Pompeii

The weather gods gave us a bit of sun to start off the visit to Pompeii. With my jacket off and in hand, I followed my tour group through the cobbled streets, past ruin after ruin. One house was open to tourists and inside we went. Not that I knew much about Pompeii to begin with, but I had no idea just how preserved the frescoes are. The birds and people depicted are incredible as is; I can't fathom (I love that word) how they must have looked back then.

As cool as the ruins were with Vesuvius looming in the background, there was that ever-present pang when you witnessed the moldings of those that died. In one molding, you could even see the folds of his clothes, the straps of his sandals.

We didn't linger long, unfortunately because our pizza lunch in Naples was calling! Even though I had already visited, I was excited to go back. Seeing the castles, the streets, the buildings...felt like visiting an old friend. And the pizza? Beautiful. You haven't tasted pizza until you've been to Naples. Don't get me wrong, pizza here in Rome is superb, but the pizza in Naples is beyond words.

Day 3: Capri

Even though Vesuvius and Pompeii were incredible, this was the day that everyone talked about.
The day in Capri.

To get there, we hopped on a ferry at the port in Sorrento. As the ferry pulled out into sea, I probably looked like the biggest goofball. With the wind blowing in my hair and the smell of the sea, I couldn't be happier. The day could only get better. And it did.

Once we arrived, we all shuffled onto another boat for an island tour. Even though I found myself shivering in my beach towel, I didn't care. The cliffs, the grottos, and the deep blue sea water made it all worth it. Plus, by the end of the tour, the sun decided to make an appearance.

The Green Grotto and I
Back on land, we caught a bus that winded its way up the island to Anacapri. I thought the island was just Capri, but apparently it's a cake with three layers: Marina Grande (sea level layer), Capri (second layer), and Anacapri (top layer). Once in Anacapri, we headed down a side street in search of seafood. Such a beautiful, seafood-filled lunch: octopus and calamari for appetizer and mussels for the main dish. Beautiful.

Then off we went to climb Mount Solaro, but in Anacapri you don't climb mountains by foot, but by chairlift! Up and up we went with the island and the blue water all around. I turned five years old as I swung my feet back and forth, giddy with happiness.

At the top, the view was incredible. All around was the island and the sea, all the way out to the horizon. It's the kind of you view that you could soak in for hours. If only the pictures would do it justice.


Unfortunately time was pressing and we back down we went via chairs. Anxiously glancing at my watch, we power walked to Villa San Michele. As soon as we saw the sign "Museum" we knew we weren't going to go in. That involved paying and time we didn't have. So we kept walking, wanting to see what was around the Villa's Wall. As we admired the view, I noticed the path continued down and off to our right. We had no idea where it led except down. Two of my friends didn't want to get lost and headed back to the bus. My friend Halina and I took our chances.

Down the steep stone steps we went, pausing at every switchback to take in the view. It felt like we had found the "Secret Garden" of paths.

If there had been anyone on that path, they would have thought we were crazy. Arms flailing, we were bursting with laughter as we stumbled down. We couldn't take our time because who knows where we were going. The ferry would leave at 4:10 with or without us.

Thankfully the path met up with the street and we easily found the port. I looked down at my watch.
10 minutes.
Run!!
Halina wanted a taste of the Mediterranean Sea and gosh darn it she was going to get it.
I was down with it so I ran with her. We sprinted down to the beach, changed into our suits, and into the water we ran.

Cold. Freezing cold. Icebox cold. As soon as we ran in and ducked our heads in we came right back out.
The feeling was amazing, I've never been more exhilarated in my life.

With mere minutes to spare, we scooped up our bags and hurried to our group. Turns out, the ferry wasn't leaving for another 20 minutes. Plenty of breathing room.

And that was this weekend's adventure. We boarded the ferry, watched Love Actually on the bus ride home, and here I am back in Rome.

The adventure never really stops, though. I came back home to Rome. back home...to ROME.

Comments

  1. I read these posts and I can't believe lives like this actually exist. Keep adventuring love <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure