A Garden, a Castle, and Olive Branches

Even though I didn't go on a "weekend trip," this past weekend was still chock-full of adventure.
I'm in Italy!!! How could it not be?

Friday: 

Everyone is familiar with the pang of disappointment that accompanies soaring expectations. 
It can happen with a book, a movie, a restaurant, or even a song. 

But then, there are those experiences that go above and beyond your already high expectations. 
One of those magical experiences is the Tivoli Gardens. 

My roommates had already painted beautiful pictures in my mind the week before, insisting that it was one of the most beautiful places they had ever been. The way they talked about it, I expected the gardens to be just as beautiful as Santorini.

Well it was.

When I walked out on one of the balconies of Villa d'Este, I was at a loss for words. 

The sun peaked over the tall trees, revealing picturesque pathways bordered by hedges and flower pots.
The sound of water bubbling and rushing from multiple fountains vibrated through the air.

I could feel the ridiculous grin that I was wearing as I stood on my tiptoes, leaning over the balcony. 
I'm pretty sure I squealed exactly like a little girl on Christmas morning. 

It was that beautiful. 

As my friend and I started down a path, the sound of water drew nearer and I couldn't handle it. Arms flailing, purse swaying, I ran until I saw it: the first fountain. My hand flew to cover my mouth to muffle my shout of delight. How could it be so BEAUTIFUL?!
Just look at it. Then, multiply the beauty of this picture by 100. Then, just maybe, you'll understand.


Then I turned around.

It was so beautiful. I know I use that word way too much, but I can't help it. You try seeing these places and not using that word over and over again.

We let time drift by as we explored the garden, trying to remember each flower pot, each view. As we strolled along, all of a sudden we came across the perfect spot, soaked in sun and full of flowers for flower chains. We giggled and made flower crowns as we braided each others hair.
I was five years old again.

Saturday:

The day of the last school trip, this time a day trip to Assisi!

We began the trip following a tour guide through cobbled streets, past stone buildings lined with flower pots. Side streets to our left and right revealed scenes you thought only existed in brochures or movies. I felt like I had stepped back in time.

Our tour ended at Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi, where I was so blessed to be in the presence of St. Francis's remains. It was incredible.

Then, once our tour guide set us free, we set out for lunch food and pastries from the pastry shops we passed. With happy bellies, we then embarked on the climb up towards Rocca Maggiore, the castle of Assisi. Whenever I had mentioned my Assisi trip to my dad, he would always insist, "GO TO THE CASTLE!" So to the castle I went.

The highlight of my trip. Hands down. The castle itself was a a stone beauty, with walls and towers connected by a tunnel and winding stairs. Then, there was the view. The VIEW. Rolling hills on one side, the whole town of Assisi and the valley on the other.



I could have spent all day up there. But alas, time ticked away and I had to head back down to the bus.

Sunday:

This past Sunday wasn't just any Sunday, but Palm Sunday! And since I'm here in Rome, I just had to spend it with my best friend Papa Francesco!! Of course, Italian transportation had other plans. My friend and I almost lost hope that the train would ever come, but in the end it decided to show it's lazy butt. We hopped on, sat at the edge of our seats, and practically ran towards St. Peter's Square. Along the way, we picked up our olive branches and were set!

We arrived as they started to retell the Passion. Alas, my friend and I couldn't understand much with our Italian 100 skills, so we decided to head to Caravita, a church I had previously attended that had English services.


So we waved good-bye to the small white cap we knew belonged to the Pope, and off we went.
We arrived in a piazza by the church just as they started to read the passage about Jesus's procession. As they finished, we proceeded into the church, where we again heard the Passion, this time in English.

Even though I didn't get to spend Palm Sunday with my family, Rome welcomed me into its celebrations with open arms. I could not have asked for a more beautiful way to start Holy Week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

The Land of My People

On to another adventure