Can't forget

Yesterday (okay, well last saturday because you know, field work and life delays your writing).
It was one of those days that was so good, so dang good that you don't want to forget it.
You aren't satisfied with "oh I'll remember because, you know, we took pictures."
Nope. Nope to that.
This requires some writing, some thoughts on paper (or blog post).

The adventure began early on a road I bike almost every day for field work.
This day wasn't for field work, though. It was my day off and I was going to hike a mountain (yep, I am crazy). I live at a field station known officially as the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory (or RMBL, pronounced "rumble," for short. On my front doorstep is Gothic Mountain, a 12,631 foot beaut. Since the field station is located in the town called Gothic, I needed to hike it. All 12,631 feet of it.

With friends assembled we started the climb. Conversations drifted in and out, we soaked up the nature and then, before we knew it, we were lost. Well, my roommate and I at least. We had picked up the pace, were feeling good, and before you know it we were hiking up the wrong mountain.
Yep, I turned around and asked her, "Hey, isn't that Gothic?"
Shoot.

So, what did we do? We re-traced our steps, thought we found the right path, heard our friends from afar, went off-trail, and just like that were lost.
People, don't do that just don't. We were "we-are-going-to-die-in-the-woods" lost. No good.
But then we found a promising trail.
nope. Deer trail.
THEN, we spotted a trail, an actual trail, a most wonderful trail beside which sat a human-made pile of rocks. we ran to that trail; I called it "fear ran." I can't tell you why we ran, but can tell you that when we couldn't breathe anymore we regretted it.

Once back on a trail, an actual beautiful trail I began the most difficult hike of my life. Yep, I can easily say that with no doubt. To make it up the mountain, my roommate and I started a routine (at the suggestion of a friend already climbing back down the mountain), to climb up for a minute, rest for 30 seconds, and repeat. Without that, we would have been crispy toast.

We made it. All the way to the 12,631 ft peak. After getting lost, after rationing water and food (because of course, we didn't bring enough), we made it to the tippity top of Gothic.

It. was. worth. it. I was reminded again of why I am where I am.
The mountains rolled on into the distance, snow still covered peaks, and my insides weeped at the beauty of it all. There is no feeling like that feeling, the feeling of climbing a mountain.




That was part 1 of the dang good day. The next came with food.
Of course, while at the top we made plans for stuffing our faces afterward.
After a shuttle ride and hobble down (the feet were definitely aching) the main street in Crested Butte (we call seebee), food was found.

First, Thirdbowl, a beautiful homemade ice cream place that I will always cherish.
then, RYCE. Yes, rice is spelled wrong get over that. It's an Asian food restaurant and it was yummm.

With food in belly, we set off for the errand runs (since living at a field station, you do whenever you are in town since who knows the next time you'll be there) before beginning the hitch back adventure.

Of course, half of our group happened to run into other RMBLers (rumblers) and drove off back to Gothic. Myself and two others were given the task of actually hitching a ride. Which we did!! When all hope was lost, when we had walked (I hobbled) for quite a bit, wwo splendid fellows went absolutely out of their way to drive us back to the field station.

With feet hurting, I hobbled up towards the ruby lounge (hang out spot) for movie fun times until my friend gave me a piggy back ride!! This day, this day. I'm telling you.

Then, we watched a hilarious, British, strange to say the least movie called Sean of the Dead.
And life, life was good.

I still can't believe how much luck filled that day, how much genuinely good times there were.
And that is why it made it to here,  here to my sappy blog.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Week of Firsts

On to another adventure

Last Minutes of the Teen Years